What coverage does personal cyber insurance typically provide for cyberbullying?
While digital devices are beneficial in so many ways, one of the darker uses of cell phones, computers, and tablets is cyberbullying. Unlike old-school playground bullies, cyberbullies can send, post, and share negative, harmful, false, or mean content about someone else around the clock, using text, email, social media, online gaming, and more. Not only is cyberbullying relentless and persistent in nature, but the resulting content may create a permanent public record accessible to schools, employers, clubs, and others that can damage the victim’s online reputation, both today and for the long-term. This type of crime often takes a significant toll on its victims, sometimes leading to serious academic, behavioral, and psychological issues.
If you have personal cyber insurance, your policy may help with the following costs related to recovering from the consequences of a cyberbullying event.
- Professional counseling services.
- Temporary private tutoring.
- Enrollment expenses, if relocation to a similar, alternate school is necessary.
- Purchase of mobile applications, social monitoring software, and web-based products to prevent further cyberbullying events.
- Legal expenses, including those related to the removal of online content associated with the cyberbullying event.
- Hiring of public relations consultants to assist with reputation management.
- Investigation by a digital forensic firm.
- And more…